Iceland is a land of fire and ice, with stunning scenery unlike anything else on Earth. From the glaciers and volcanoes of the interior to the black sand beaches and waterfalls of the coast, there is something for everyone to enjoy in Iceland.
One of the best ways to experience Iceland is by hiring a campervan. This allows you to travel at your own pace and explore the country at your own leisure. You can also camp under the stars in some of the most beautiful places on Earth.
The Benefits of Hiring a Campervan in Reykjavik
Reykjavik, the capital of Iceland, is a city with something for everyone. From its stunning natural beauty to its vibrant nightlife, there’s something to keep everyone entertained. But if you’re looking to explore the city and its surroundings at your own pace, there’s no better way to do it than by hiring a campervan.
Here are just a few of the benefits of hiring a campervan in Reykjavik:
- Flexibility: With a campervan, you can set your own itinerary and explore at your own pace. No more waiting for tour buses or being tied to a set schedule.
- Freedom: With a campervan, you can go wherever you want, whenever you want. Want to go for a hike in the mountains? No problem. Want to spend the day at the beach? Go for it.
- Affordability: Hiring a campervan can be more affordable than staying in hotels or hostels. Plus, you’ll save money on food and drinks by cooking your own meals.
- Adventure: There’s no better way to experience Iceland than by road-tripping in a campervan. You’ll get to see the country’s stunning scenery up close and personal, and you’ll have the freedom to explore off the beaten path.
If you’re looking for a unique and affordable way to explore Reykjavik and Iceland, hiring a campervan is the perfect option. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your trip today!
Things You Need to Consider When Hiring a Campervan
If you are thinking about hiring a campervan in Reykjavik, here are a few things you need to know:
1. Choose the right campervan for your needs
There are a variety of campervans available to rent in Reykjavik, so it is important to choose the one that is right for you. Consider the size of your group, the length of your trip, and your budget when making your decision.
If you are traveling with a small group, a small campervan may be sufficient. However, suppose you are traveling with a large group or planning on spending a lot of time in the campervan. In that case, you may want to consider a larger model.
It is also important to consider the length of your trip when choosing a campervan. If you are only planning on a short trip, you can get away with renting a smaller campervan. However, you are planning on a longer trip. In that case, consider renting a larger campervan with more amenities.
Finally, remember to factor in your budget when choosing a campervan. Campervans can range in price from a few hundred dollars per day to several thousand dollars per day. It is important to find a campervan that fits your budget without sacrificing quality or comfort.
2. Book your campervan in advance
Campervans are in high demand in Iceland, so it is important to book your campervan in advance. The best time to book is at least 6 months in advance, especially if you are traveling during peak season (June-August).
If you are still waiting to book your campervan in advance, a few options are still available. You can try to rent a campervan from a local company, or you can try to find a campervan that is available for last-minute rental. However, it is important to be aware that last-minute rentals are often more expensive, and there is no guarantee that you will be able to find a campervan that is available when you need it.
3. Get the necessary insurance
It is important to get the necessary insurance when you rent a campervan in Iceland. This includes liability insurance, collision damage waiver (CDW), and theft protection.
Liability insurance protects you in case you are involved in an accident. A collision damage waiver protects you from paying for any damage to the campervan that is caused by your own negligence. Theft protection protects you in case the campervan is stolen.
Most rental companies will require you to purchase these insurances. However, it is always a good idea to double-check before you book your campervan.
4. Pack for all types of weather
The weather in Iceland can be unpredictable, so it is important to pack for all types of weather. This includes warm clothes, rain gear, and sunscreen.
It is also a good idea to pack a first-aid kit, a flashlight, and a map.
5. Be prepared for off-road driving
If you plan on driving your campervan on unpaved roads, you will need to be prepared for off-road driving. This includes having a good understanding of how to drive in off-road conditions and having the necessary equipment.
6. Respect the environment
Iceland is a beautiful country with a fragile environment. It is important to respect the environment when you are driving your campervan. This includes packing out all of your trash, not driving off-road, and respecting the wildlife.
7. Have fun!
Hiring a campervan in Reykjavik is a great way to experience Iceland. With a little planning, you can have an unforgettable trip.
Types of Campervans You Can Hire in Reykjavik
There are a variety of campervans to choose from, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Here is a guide to the different types of campervans you can hire in Reykjavik:
Compact campervans are the most popular type of campervan in Iceland. They are small and easy to drive, making them ideal for exploring the country’s narrow roads and winding mountain passes. Compact campervans are also relatively affordable, making them a great option for budget travelers.
Medium-sized campervans offer more space and comfort than compact campervans, making them a good option for families or groups of friends. They also have more storage space, which is ideal for bringing along camping gear and other supplies.
Large campervans are the most spacious and luxurious type of campervan available in Iceland. They offer plenty of room to sleep, cook, and relax, making them a great option for longer trips or for those who want to travel in style.
4×4 campervans are ideal for exploring Iceland’s rugged terrain. They have all-wheel drive, which makes them capable of handling off-road conditions such as gravel roads, sand dunes, and snow-covered mountains.
Self-contained campervans have everything you need for a comfortable and independent camping experience. They have a kitchenette with a stove, oven, and refrigerator, as well as a bathroom with a shower and toilet. Self-contained campervans are the most popular type of campervan in Iceland, as they offer the freedom to camp anywhere you want without having to rely on campsites.
Non-self-contained campervans do not have a kitchenette or bathroom. This means that you will need to cook your meals and use the bathroom at campsites or other facilities. Non-self-contained campervans are typically more affordable than self-contained campervans.
Which Campervan is Right for You?
The best campervan for you will depend on your budget, needs, and travel style. If you are on a budget, a compact campervan is a good option. If you are traveling with a family or group of friends, a medium-sized campervan is a better choice. If you want to explore Iceland’s rugged terrain, a 4×4 campervan is the best option. And if you want the freedom to camp anywhere you want, a self-contained campervan is the way to go.
No matter what type of campervan you choose, you are sure to have an unforgettable experience exploring Iceland.
The Best Places for a Campervan Hire Road Trip in Reykjavik
If you’re planning a campervan hire road trip in Reykjavik, here are some of the best places to visit:
- The Golden Circle: This popular tourist route takes you to three of Iceland’s most famous landmarks: Þingvellir National Park, Geysir geothermal area, and Gullfoss waterfall.
- The South Coast: The South Coast is home to some of Iceland’s most beautiful scenery, including black sand beaches, glaciers, and waterfalls.
- The Westfjords: The Westfjords are a more remote and rugged part of Iceland, perfect for those looking for an off-the-beaten-path adventure.
- The Highlands: The Highlands are Iceland’s interior, a vast and uninhabited region of mountains, glaciers, and volcanoes.
No matter where you go in Iceland, you’re sure to be amazed by its natural beauty. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your campervan hire road trip today!
Here are some tips for planning your campervan hire road trip in Reykjavik:
- Choose the right campervan: There are a variety of campervans to choose from, so it’s important to choose one that’s right for you. Consider the size of your group, the amount of time you’ll be traveling, and the type of activities you want to do.
- Book your campervan in advance: Campervans are in high demand in Iceland, so it’s important to book yours in advance, especially if you’re traveling during peak season.
- Plan your route: Once you’ve chosen your campervan, it’s time to start planning your route. There are many different routes you can take, so it’s important to choose one that fits your interests and time constraints.
- Pack for all weather conditions: Iceland’s weather can be unpredictable, so it’s important to pack for all weather conditions. Be sure to pack warm clothes, rain gear, and sunscreen.
- Be prepared for off-road driving: If you’re planning on driving in the Highlands, be prepared for off-road driving. This type of driving can be challenging, so it’s important to have experience and a good map.
- Respect the environment: Iceland is a beautiful and fragile country, so it’s important to respect the environment. Be sure to camp in designated areas, pack out your trash, and leave no trace.
With a little planning, you can have an amazing campervan hire road trip in Reykjavik. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your trip today!
Hiring a campervan in Reykjavik is a great way to see all that Iceland has to offer. With your own wheels, you can explore at your own pace and go off the beaten path. You can also save money on accommodation by camping in the campervan.
There are many different campervan rental companies in Reykjavik, so you can find one that fits your budget and needs. Be sure to book your campervan in advance, especially if you are traveling during the peak season.
With a campervan, you can explore the Golden Circle, the South Coast, and the Westfjords. You can also go hiking, camping, and fishing. With so much to see and do, Iceland is a campervan’s dream.
So what are you waiting for? Book your campervan today and start planning your Iceland adventure!